This hearty Lentil and Tomato Soup comes together barely requires any work at all and comes together in a snap. Double or triple the recipe and keep a stash in the freezer at all times for delicious, last-minute meals.
Quick and Easy Lentil and Tomato Soup
Yield 8 servings
This hearty Lentil and Tomato Soup comes together in 20 minutes. Keep a stash in the freezer at all times for delicious, last-minute meals!
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or grated with a Microplane
- 1 tbsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable stock, or chicken stock
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) dry red lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) dry quinoa
OPTIONAL GARNISHES (use any or all or none at all)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
In a large saucepan set over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add the cumin and stir for 30 seconds more. Add the stock, diced tomatoes, red lentils, grated carrots, and quinoa. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, then stir well. If using, stir in the lemon juice and baby spinach. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow the baby spinach to wilt. Reheat, if needed, and serve.
STORAGE TIPS: Let the Lentil and Tomato Soup cool completely, then divide between airtight containers. Refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.