What a sweet day it is when you get the excuse to indulge in delicious, colorful macarons! Macaron Day was created 7 years ago by Pierre Hermé in Paris to celebrate the French delicacy, but especially to benefit a good cause. On March 20 every year, dozens of pastry shops around Paris give away macarons, and collect donations for Autistes Sans Frontières. Thanks to the macarons’ worldwide popularity, many other cities are also celebrating Macaron Day. Here are links for more information:
- Paris: Jour du Macaron (official site in French); see also Paris by Mouth’s list of pastry shops offering free macarons in Paris today;
- London: Pierre Hermé has brought Macaron Day to London, where the event benefits Ambitious About Autism;
- New York: Macaron Day NYC 2012 (benefits City Harvest);
- Washington D.C.: Although there is no official Macaron Day site for Washington, many pastry shops celebrate the event. Here’s French Twist D.C.’s list of participating locations;
- Toronto: Macaron Day TO (benefits the Red Door Family Shelter);
- Vancouver: The city celebrates its first Macaron Day this year! Here’s where to get your macarons (each pastry shop has chosen to benefit a different cause);
- Hungary: Macaron Nap (in Hungarian)
- Manila (Philippines): Free macarons are offered by Bizu Patisserie and proceeds from the sale of all macarons Virlanie Foundation.
Tons of other shops around the globe are having a very special day today, so check with your local pastry shops to discover what they have in store to celebrate Macaron Day!
More macaron inspiration:
- Macaron master Pierre Hermé has created a special macaron for Macaron Day: “Mutine” with coconut and milk chocolate ganache. Yum!
- Writer and blogger Ann Mah has posted an excerpt from Amy Thomas’ book, Paris, My Sweet, which narrates her first macaron tasting in Paris.
- Macaronathon: A Google Map of pastry shops, bakeries and cafes in the New York area that specialize in French macarons.
Of course, you can also make your own macarons. Here are my own posts that detail how to make macarons, if you feel up for it:
- How to Make Macarons: A Detailed, Illustrated Step-by-Step Recipe
- A Macaron Troubleshooting Guide: Useful Tips and Advice to Master the French Delicacy
- VIDEO: Learn to Make French Macarons in 5 Minutes
Find more recipes and inspiration on my All About Macarons page.
Do you know of other macaron events taking place today? If so, please share in the comments below!
I wish you a delicious Macaron Day! Indulge and always remember to give back.