« Happy Fridays » is a weekly column in which I share my latest news, favorite recipes, as well as anything and everything exciting.
- I attended the IACP Annual Conference in New York City. It was an incredibly fulfilling 5 days during which I had the chance to hear some of the greatest figures of the culinary world share their experience, tips and advice to succeed in a difficult industry. Amongst the highlights: touring New York’s best chocolate and pastry shops with Chef Kathryn Gordon; Chef Marcus Samuelsson discussing his heritage and how he draws from foreign cultures for inspiration; Lucky Peach’s Peter Meehan and Ruth Reichl discussing the future of online magazines; Andrea Nguyen and James Oseland sharing tips about how to write for today’s “short form” audience; feeling like I was being part of a Top Chef competition during Friday night’s opening party where over 20 restaurants offered small tasty dishes for the crowd to enjoy; watching two incredibly eloquent and knowledgeable speakers, Chef Dan Barber and writer Adam Gopnik, debate whether the farm-to-table movement is a passing trend or the unavoidable new way to do things; running into and chatting with culinary icon Daniel Boulud in an elevator; gathering recipe writing tips from one of my favorite food writers, Melissa Clark; making fresh ramen noodles with Japanese cookbook author Hiroko Shimbo; drinking every word said by culinary genius Grant Achatz, touring Saveur Magazine’s offices and meeting its executive editors. Yep, I know, it’s a lot. I will write more about it soon.
- I got together with old friends and made new ones. First, I have to say I had the best roommate I could ever have wished for: Nikki (from Art & Lemons) is an incredibly creative and talented photographer, writer and blogger. I met her last year in an IACP regional conference in New York and we coincidentally had the idea to share a room this year at the exact same time! We spent hours chatting, between sessions, over meals, or before turning off the light at night – the time I spent with her enhanced my stay in New York even more and I truly grateful for that. Amongst the friends I enjoyed seeing again: Amy, Karen, David, Cheryl, Dianne, Eagranie, Kristen, Rachel, Stephanie, LeeAnn – and new friends with whom I hope to keep in touch until the next conference: Christina, Casey, Tara, Eva, Judy, Luisa, Catherine and Christie. I met lots more amazing people – all of which are why I attend the yearly IACP conference, there is simply no better place immerse in the culinary world.
Over on Just Recipes
Just Recipes is a no-frills recipe blog on which I share the food I make at home. All recipes are delicious and easy (I won’t make you spend hours in the kitchen, I swear!) Here are this week’s new recipes:
Meeting chef and author Kathryn Gordon during the Chocolate & Pastry Tour in New York gave me the opportunity to ask her to sign a copy of her book, Les Petits Macarons: Colorful French Confections to Make at Home. Enter now for a chance to win it! Giveaway starts on 4/5/2012 and will run until 4/13/2012 at 12:00 PM EST. DETAILS HERE.
Worth Talking About
- The best April Fool’s I’ve read this year.
- Inspiration vs. Imitation: A must-read article for all creatives, written by the talented type designer Jessica Hische.
- Life-Changing Trips: Know anyone who ever been on a life-changing trip? Did you show genuine interest in their experience when they came back? Gretchen Rubin provides 9 Questions to Ask About Someone’s Big, Life-Changing Trip.
- DIY Alert: Cute idea provided by Lifehacker – great for homemade gifts! Use Chalkboard Paint to Make Reusable, Dishwasher Safe Labels for Your Storage Jars.
Have a great and delicious weekend!