By now, I’ve had the chance to travel a fair bit but one not-so-far-away city I’ve been dreaming of for years and years, which seems to have always eluded me, is San Francisco. E has had to go many times for work, but somehow, I was never able to accompany him on any of those trips.
Now, the long wait is over: I’m finally going this fall! Granted, I will only stay for three nights, but you can be sure that every minute I’ll spend in the city will be filled with discoveries. I’ve built a very (very!) long to-do list in San Francisco, we’ll try to work down that list while still taking some relaxing time off. I’m really excited and I’m absolutely convinced the city will live up to my expectations (if not exceed them!)
One place that is at the very top of my list is the famous Miette bakery. First, I’m absolutely in love with the name, which means “crumb” in French. Second, pastry chef Meg Ray’s creations are irresistibly beautiful. And the shop’s so charming. And so is Chef Ray. Get it? Can’t wait to be there!
The following video presents Meg Ray’s passion and philosophy, as well as many of her creations. I bet you’ll fall in love with Miette too.
“I eat cake every single morning. I go into the bakery, pour a cup of coffee and have a piece of cake. I don’t want to ever wake up any other way.”
– Meg Ray, owner and pastry chef, San Francisco.
- Miette, the official site
- Miette: Recipes from San Francisco’s Most Charming Pastry Shop
- How to Frost a Cake with Meg Ray (with video)
- Cook’s Night Out: Meg Ray (article by the San Francisco Gate)
- Three dessert recipes by Meg Ray (cookies! caramels!)
- Sourced Cities: A Guide to San Francisco