“12 Favorites” is a series showcasing seasonal produce. Every month, find out all about preparation and storage of a different fruit or vegetable, plus tons of inspiration to create memorable dishes, all in one post.
This fall, it’s been all about Brussels sprouts at my house. The cute mini cabbage has finally earned its place in the sun, after what seems like a lifetime of being viewed as the universal nightmare of kids. In truth, I was one of those kids growing up; in fact, I don’t even remember ever having Brussels sprouts at my house—or maybe I did and my memory did a cleanup job after the fact? I believe that Brussels sprouts are popular now because we’ve finally figured out new and interesting ways to prepare them, other than just roasting them with bacon. Which, don’t get me wrong, is a delightful way to enjoy sprouts—it’s just that there are so many other possibilities.
Among my favorite ways to enjoy them are roasted on a pizza (they go so well with mozzarella di bufala!), raw and shaved thin in an Asian-style slaw, smothered in a silky cheese sauce and baked until bubbly and golden, and, my latest favorite, fried with sausage and doused in a sauce combining tahini and a delightful Korean spicy sauce I’m addicted to. Just these examples show how versatile Brussels sprouts are: there are so many flavors that harmonize with the sprout that it’s simply impossible not to fall in love with them one way or another.
Still skeptical? Browse the following recipes and then try to tell me you’re not hungry—I won’t believe you.
Pssst… I’ve gathered 100+ more Brussels sprouts recipes to create an appetizing Pinterest board: more inspiration this way!
ROW 1 /
- Lemongrass, Aubergine & Brussels Sprout Curry, by Green Kitchen Stories (vegan)
- Brussels Sprouts & Potato Hash with Fried Eggs, by Williams-Sonoma Taste (vegetarian)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Crispy Baked Tofu with Honey-Sesame Glaze, by Cookie+Kate (gluten-free, vegan)
ROW 2 /
- Tart Cherry-Glazed Brussels Sprouts, by Love & Olive Oil (vegan)
- Crisp-Tender Brussels Sprouts in 7-Spice Broth, by Saveur Magazine (vegan)
- Brussels Sprout Risotto, by Yotam Ottolenghi (vegetarian)
ROW 3 /
- Brussels Sprout Tortilla, by Kay Chun, vua Food&Wine Magazine (vegetarian, gluten-free)
- Brussels Sprouts Kimchi, by chef Jon Churan, via Bon Appétit (vegetarian)
- Sicilian Roasted Cauliflower & Brussels Sprouts, by Jamie Oliver (vegan)
ROW 4 /
- Buckwheat Tagliatelle, Crisp Herbs, Brussels Sprouts and Burnt Butter, by Gourmet Traveller Magazine
- Zucchini and Brussels Sprouts Fritters, by Donna Hay (vegetarian)
- Brisket on Sourdough With Sriracha Shaved Brussels Sprouts, by Molly Yeh
Brussels Sprouts Recipes from My Kitchen
- Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sausage
- Brussels Sprouts, Radicchio and Chorizo Sautéed Salad
- Creamy Miso Squash Soup with Seared Brussels Sprouts and Apple (Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- Brussels Sprout and Pancetta Pizza
How to Prepare and Store Fresh Brussels Sprouts
- How to Trim Brussels Sprouts, by Fine Cooking (Video)
- How to Store Brussels Sprouts, by The Kitchn
- A Guide to Brussels Sprouts, by Epicurious
Even More Brussels Sprouts Inspiration
- Time has arrived for reacquainting yourself with brussels sprouts, by Felicity Cloake, via The Guardian
- November’s Superfood: Brussels Sprouts, by Honestly Blog
- Our 10 Best Brussels Sprouts Recipes, by The Guardian
- For the Love of Brussels Sprouts: Recipes for Holiday and Everyday, by White on Rice Couple
- 9 Methods for Making the Best Brussels Sprouts Dishes, by Chowhound
— Photo of Brussels sprouts stalk by Nick Saltmarsh, licensed under CreativeCommons.Yum