Quantcast

Luscious Chocolate Avocado Pudding

Luscious Chocolate Avocado Pudding / FoodNouveau.com

I finally did it: I made a dessert with avocado. I’d been toying with the idea for a while, ever since I spied avocado ice cream recipes on other blogs. It was obvious to me that the creamy nature of avocado made it a natural fit to sweet dishes, but I never got around to try any. A recipe published recently by a friend and fellow Quebec blogger suddenly turned my desire into action: Chocolate Avocado Pudding…? It seemed so easy, something I could whip up in minutes. There were no excuses to put off the experiment anymore.

It’s literally a one-step dessert, but it’ll blow your mind. The best custard would hardly manage to match the luscious creaminess the avocado lends to this pudding. All chocolate avocado pudding recipes say that “nobody can tell there’s avocado in there” and it’s true, especially kids, although I think that once you know what’s the secret ingredient, you have a sort of “eureka” moment, suddenly getting where you’ve tasted that silkiness before.

I played around with the recipe a bit: after adding ¼ cup [60 ml] cocoa, like my friend’s recipe stated, I found the avocado flavor to be a little too present still and the mixture weirdly tasted midway between chocolate pudding and guacamole. The cocoa powder brand you use probably influences how much you need to add. I like an assertive dark chocolate flavor so I ended up using ½ cup [125 ml]. I suggest you start by adding ¼ cup [60 ml] and then add more to taste.

There are many great things about this dessert: First it’s good for you. Yay for all of avocados’ health benefits! Second, there’s little sugar in there, so it’s good for you. You may even call it a healthy dessert (no, that is not an oxymoron!). Third, it’s lactose-free and vegan, so it’s good for everyone.

Not that you should have this dessert because it’s good for you. Make it because it’s amazing. Believe me.

Makes 1 cup [250 ml] pudding, enough for 2 to 4 servings, depending on how chocoholic you and your guests are

1 avocado, ripe and soft
¼ cup [60 ml] to ½ cup [125 ml] best-quality cocoa powder (I use Valrhona’s)
¼ cup [60 ml] milk (I use lactose-free, but you can use soy, almond or rice milk to make this recipe vegan)
3 tbsp [45 ml] maple syrup or liquid honey
1 tsp [5 ml] pure vanilla extract

Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh and put in a blender, or the bowl of a food processor. Add ¼ cup cocoa powder and the remaining ingredients. Process until smooth, occasionally scraping down sides. Taste and add more cocoa powder until the pudding is chocolatey enough. Add more maple syrup (or honey) if you’d like the pudding sweeter, and milk, if you’d like it looser. Divide between serving cups and serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve.

It’s amazing with fresh raspberries, but you can also serve it sprinkled with toasted almonds, baked crumble, or whipped cream.

Recipe Credit: Inspired by Francis Laplante, Tranche de Pain.

Download this recipe in PDF format - Food Nouveau

Yum

23 Responses to Luscious Chocolate Avocado Pudding

1. […] I’ve started making parfaits of nonfat Trader Joe’s plain Greek yogurt, ~2 Tblspoons chocolatey avocado pudding (I subbed 3Tblspoons xylitol for the maple syrup), topped with blueberries. So much protein & […]

2. Annmarie says:

I used DAGOBA unsweetened organic cacao powder. Beautiful!

3. [...] Avocado Pudding Recipe adopted from Food [...]

4. Tara says:

OK, I just added 1/4 cup more cocoa powder, a tablespoon of coconut milk, and some more maple syrup, and it tastes much better. Still wondering what kind of effect agave will have.

5. Tara says:

I made this with unsweetened almond milk and maple syrup. I’m thinking of substituting agave syrup for the maple syrup. Most vegans don’t eat honey, which I don’t understand.

6. T.Haynes says:

I tried this. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!! My dinner guests thought it was super creamy. My four year old wanted more and was upset it was gone, and he doesn’t like avocodo. Yeah you do have to play with the amount of coco powder. Thank you for the killer recipie!

7. PureForme says:

[...] but hadn’t yet tried: chocolate avocado pudding. My recipe is adapted from the one I found at Food Nouveau. It was just the fix I needed and satisfied my sweet tooth beautifully! I had planned to top it [...]

8. [...] foray into inconvenient diets is: clean eating. A movement less radical, but healthier. Seriously, avocado chocolate pudding. I would never recommend this gluten-free life to anyone who doesn’t need to do it. Focus on [...]

9. [...] be good as a popsicle, but I figured it was worth a shot.  Here’s the recipe I sorta used, http://foodnouveau.com/2012/10/recipes/desserts/luscious-chocolate-avocado-pudding/.  Except I only had 1/2 of an avocado so I had to adjust the measurements and I wanted it to be [...]

10. Sarah F. says:

Just tried this today–couldn’t believe how good it was! I encountered the same guac/chocolate taste at 1/4th a cup, and adding more cocoa powder really did the trick.

Thanks for a great recipe!

11. MissJi says:

Ma foodie de 13 ans a tout de suite détecté l’avocat, qui reste tout de même présent surtout à cause de sa texture soyeuse. J’ai trouvé que ce pudding était bon sur le coup, mais est devenu extraordinairement délicieux le lendemain, le chocolat ayant pris le dessus sur l’avocat! (même avec le cacao ordinaire que j’avais sous la main!)

12. I love the idea of disguising vegetables in desserts! Nicely done!
    ~ nerdwithtaste.wordpress.com

13. Brett Kling says:

I have done this recipe before as well and found that the powdered chocolate didn’t incorporate well simply in a blender or food processor. I ended up mixing everything but the avocado to make sure the chocolate incorporated into the liquid thoroughly. In my recipe melted vegan chocolate chips into almond milk and whisked in cocoa powder, vanilla, instant espresso powder, salt, and sweetener. After this was done I added the avocado as the last step in the blender. This method took away the flavor of the avocado making the chocolate the prominent flavor.

14. This is something I would like to try, especially for my daughter who loves chocolate, of course, but kind of avoid avocado:) Thanks for the idea.

• Marie says:

I promise she won’t know there’s avocado in there! It tastes amazing and it’s good for you. Best of both worlds!

15. Art & Lemons says:

I cannot live without avocados in sweet and savory treatments and I often make a similar sort of chocolate avocado mousse.

• Marie says:

I’m so happy I finally tried a sweet avocado recipe! It’s amazing and now I can’t wait to incorporate it to ice cream.

16. f6 says:

Thanx for the reference :)

17. Terrick at Sea says:

This I will make while sailing. Rick loves chocolate ice cream so this will be his substitute desert. He doesn’t like avocado so I will not tell him until after he eats it. lol
    Terry